Chew on this: March is National Nutrition Month
March is National Nutrition Month and was designated as such to focus the public’s awareness on what they eat. We all know the importance of a healthy diet but did you know that certain diets are also better for the health of your teeth?
Do’s and dont’s for healthy teeth
Take care of your teeth by choosing a well-balanced diet. Enjoy a variety of foods, including vegetables and fruits, whole grains, proteins and dairy.
- Boost your calcium and vitamin D intake to extend the life of your teeth
- Drink fluoridated tap water to strengthen enamel and wash away bacteria-causing sugars
- Munch on raw fruits and vegetables like apples and celery sticks to increase saliva and cut down on bacteria
- Fill your diet with bright, vitamin C-rich foods like sweet potatoes, raw red peppers and oranges to help prevent bleeding gums and loose teeth
- Snack on soft, sweet and sticky foods that stay on teeth and promote decay
- Nibble on simple starches throughout the day. Avoid starchy snacks like crackers, cookies or chips
- Sip carbonated drinks loaded with sugar that can also erode and stain your tooth enamel. Choose healthier drinks like water or milk
Healthy teeth start with healthy habits. We encourage you to use National Nutrition Month in March to take a closer look at your dietary needs and to please keep your teeth in mind. A few tweaks and changes can make a difference in the life of your teeth. Dentistry of the Carolinas is here to support and maintain your natural smile!