It’s no longer just the dental community warning parents to take extra precautions with fruit juice for babies and children. Last month, the American Academy of Pediatrics released its recommendations on fruit juices for infants, children and teens. The key points:
- Completely avoiding any juice, even 100% juice, for children under one year of age
- Toddlers between ages one and three should be limited to four ounces daily
- Ages four to six should have no more than six ounces per day
- Do not let young children, especially toddlers, walk around with a cup of juice that they could sip all day
- Dilution of juice with water does not decrease dental health risks
For more information, reference American Academy of Pediatrics Recommends No Fruit Juice For Children Under 1 Year or ask your dentist.